Dal Makhani Recipe. Punjabi Dhaba style Dal Makhani recipe made without rajma. Slow cooked dal makhani with butter and cream. Recipe with step by step pictures.
Main Ingredients for making Dal Makhani
- 2/3 cup whole black urad dal
- 3 tablespoon rajma (red kidney beans) – optional
- 20 grams garlic (approx. about one whole pod)
- 20 grams ginger (about two inches)
- 3 big ripe tomatoes (about 250 grams)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 600 ml water
- 1/4 cup cream
Here is how to make Dal Makhani at home
- Pick the urad dal for any sand or stone particles. Wash and Soak 2/3 cups of whole black urad dal for at least 8-10 hours. The original recipe uses Rajma. I have not used rajma and kept the dal ITC style. If using Rajma, soak about three tablespoons of rajma along with the black urad dal.
- Take a pressure cooker and add in the soaked and drained lentils.
- Take a mixie and add in about 3 big ripe tomatoes (about 250 grams). Chop them roughly and add. Also add in a whole pod of garlic and two inches of ginger (about 20 grams each). Grind to a fine puree.
- Add the grind puree to the cooker. Add 600 ml of water. Also add in quarter cup of butter. Quarter cup is about 4 tablespoons of butter. ( We shall worry about the clogged arteries later). Vir Sanghvi writes that this dish is not a lentil dish but a dairy product and I have to agree. The original recipe uses 1/2 a cup of butter. I have noticed that using half the quantity of butter itself produces a very rich dish. If you are feeling fancy, add more butter. Its totally up to you.
- Add in the salt and the red chilli powder.
- Cover the cooker and allow it to cook, After you get the first whistle (after about 3-4 minutes), reduce the flame to the lowest possible and allow it to cook for one whole hour. Yes. One hour. The slow cooking will make the dal very creamy. Just two things. The lowest flame possible and one full hour.
- After the said cooking time, remove the pressure cooker from heat and allow the pressure from the cooker to settle naturally.
- Take a potato masher and gently mash the dal.
- Keep the dal back on a low heat and add in quarter cup of cream. I have used Amul cream (the one that comes in a tetra pak) today. Heavy whipping cream works just fine. Simmer on a low flame to heat up the cream. The original recipe uses half a cup of cream but I have used just half the quantity and I should say that I am very happy with the viscosity and richness of the dal.
- Mix well. Dal Makhani ITC Bukhara style is done. Serve the Dal Makhani with roti, naan or paratha.
The original recipe is made in an open pot. I have made the recipe in a pressure cooker as its easy and gets the job done in lesser time.
I have used a 3 liter cooker today. Do not use a very big cooker for making the said quantity as I have seen that the dal might scorch while cooking. 5 liter cooker is ok. Add a cup of water extra while cooking if using a 5 liter cooker.
Adjust the butter and cream according to your preferences.
Keywords: dal makhani