Main Ingredients for making Dal Makhani
- 2/3 cup whole black urad dal
- 3 tablespoon rajma (red kidney beans) – optional
- 20 grams garlic (approx. about one whole pod)
- 20 grams ginger (about two inches)
- 3 big ripe tomatoes (about 250 grams)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 600 ml water
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
Here is how to make Dal Makhani at home
- Pick the urad dal for any sand or stone particles. Wash and Soak 2/3 cups of whole black urad dal for at least 8-10 hours. The original recipe uses Rajma. If using Rajma, soak about three tablespoons of rajma along with the black urad dal.
- Take a pressure cooker and add in the soaked and drained lentils.
- Take a mixie and add in about 3 big ripe tomatoes (about 250 grams). Chop them roughly and add. Also add in a whole pod of garlic and two inches of ginger (about 20 grams each). Grind to a fine puree.
- Add the grind puree to the cooker. Add 600 ml of water. Also add in quarter cup of butter. Quarter cup is about 4 tablespoons of butter. ( We shall worry about the clogged arteries later). Vir Sanghvi writes that this dish is not a lentil dish but a dairy product and I have to agree. The original recipe uses 1/2 a cup of butter. I have noticed that using half the quantity of butter itself produces a very rich dish. If you are feeling fancy, add more butter. Its totally up to you.
- Add in the salt and the red chilli powder.
- Cover the cooker and allow it to cook, After you get the first whistle (after about 3-4 minutes), reduce the flame to the lowest possible and allow it to cook for 30-40 minutes.
- After the said cooking time, remove the pressure cooker from heat and allow the pressure from the cooker to settle naturally.
- Take a potato masher and gently mash the dal.
- Keep the dal back on a low heat and add in quarter cup of cream. I have used Amul cream (the one that comes in a tetra pak) today. Heavy whipping cream works just fine. Simmer on a low flame to heat up the cream. The original recipe uses half a cup of cream but I have used just half the quantity and I should say that I am very happy with the viscosity and richness of the dal.
- Mix well. Dal Makhani ITC Bukhara style is done. Serve the Dal Makhani with roti, naan or paratha.
The original recipe is made in an open pot. I have made the recipe in a pressure cooker as its easy and gets the job done in lesser time.
I have used a 3 liter cooker today. Do not use a very big cooker for making the said quantity as I have seen that the dal might scorch while cooking. 5 liter cooker is ok. Add a cup of water extra while cooking if using a 5 liter cooker.
Adjust the butter and cream according to your preferences.
- Prep Time: 8h
- Cook Time: 1h
Keywords: dal makhani