For the masala
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 inch small piece of cinnamon
- 1 cardamom
- 1 big onion, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
For the gravy
- 2 teaspoon oil (peanut or vegetable oil)
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 potato, boiled, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup dry double beans, cooked
- Boil the double beans and potatoes. Set aside.
- Grind the masalas to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the ground paste and the chopped tomatoes.
- Add in the salt and a little sugar. Add in the coriander powder, turmeric powder and the chilli powder. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in two cups of water and cook in a pressure cooker for 6-7 whistles.
- Remove from heat and wait for the pressure to settle naturally. Add in the cooked and drained double beans. Peel the potatoes and chop roughly. Add it to the pan. Simmer for couple of minutes. Add in a sprig of fresh curry leaves.
- Remove from heat and serve with idli or dosa.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu