This easy beginners mushroom rice is a quick recipe that can be put together in under 30 minutes. The ingredients are very simple and makes for a delicious lunch box or a quick dinner.
- 1.5 cups Basmati Rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2+2 green chillies, slit
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled
- 300 grams button mushrooms
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- Soak 1.5 cups of basmati rice in water before starting to cook. Let it soak for at-least 20-30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add in the cinnamon, cloves and cardamom.
- Add in the sliced onions and saute for a couple of minutes till the onions are soft. Add in the chopped tomatoes, slit green chillies and salt.
- Grind the garlic, ginger and green chillies in a mixie along with 1/4 cup of water to a smooth paste.
- Add it to the pan and saute for 5 minutes till the tomatoes and the paste are cooked.
- Clean, Wash and Chop the button mushroom and add it to the pan.
- Cook the mushroom for 5 minutes. The mushrooms will shrink in size when cooked. Add in 3 cups of water. (We are cooking the rice in a pan. The water ratio is 1 cup rice:2 cups water)
- Let the water come to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil, add in the soaked and drained rice.
- Cover the pan and cook for five minutes – (Medium flame). Open the cooker and add in the chopped coriander leaves. Cover the pan and cook again for five more minutes.
- The rice will be about 75% cooked by this time. There will be some moisture left. Now is the time to switch off the flame.
- Cover the pan and let the rice rest for 15 minutes. The rice will absorb all the excess moisture and will be perfectly cooked after the said time. After 15 minutes, open the pan and gently fluff up the rice.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: South Indian