Ellu Podi – Sesame Seed Lentil Powder for Idli Dosa and Rice / Sadam. Tamil style recipe from kongunad. Black Ellu Idli Milagai Podi.
- 2 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 cup black sesame seed
- 1 cup whole white urad dal
- 4 sprigs curry leaves
- 10 dried red chillies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- In a pan, add a teaspoon of oil and roast the sesame seeds until they are glossy and aromatic. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- In the same pan add in a teaspoon of oil and add whole white urad dal. Roast the lentil until it smells nutty and the dal turns color. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- In the same pan, dry roast the curry leaves and the dried red chillies. Wait for the curry leaves to dry and the chillies to fluff up.
- Spread all the ingredients on a news paper and let it cool completely.
- Add in the cooled ingredients to a mixie jar. Add in the salt and asafoetida (hing). Grind to a slightly coarse powder.
- You can store this ellu podi at room temperature for upto 15-20 days. If you are going to need it for a longer time, then store the podi in zip tote bags in the freezer. It stays fresh for upto 4-5 months in the freezer.
- Category: Spice Powder
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu