Recipe for Fish Fingers Indian home-style. How to make fish fingers that can be easily frozen for later use. Made with breadcrumbs and perfect for toddlers.
- 500 grams fish fillet
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon green chilli sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (read notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- Juice of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoon corn flour (If the batter is very watery, add a tablespoon or two more)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil to deep fry the fish fingers
- Cut the fish fillets into thick fingers. Crush some garlic and ginger in a mortar and pestle. Set aside.
- Take a big bowl and add in the cut fish fingers. Make sure that the water from the fish is completely drained and the fish is dry. If the fish is too moist, then the batter will be watery and wont work. Add in the ginger-garlic, soy sauce, black pepper, green chilli sauce, salt, red chilli flakes, lemon juice, tomato ketchup, egg white and corn flour. Mix well to combine.
- Take a plate and spread the breadcrumbs. Take the fish pieces and roll them in the breadcrumbs. Roll the pieces well so its coated with breadcrumbs thoroughly. Once coated, gently roll the fish between your palms. Apply gentle pressure so the crumbs adhere to the fish. This will prevent the crumbs from falling or separating while frying. This is a fantastic tip I use while frying these fingers. It also shapes the fingers.
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Fish fries very fast in under two to three minutes. Hot oil is key to make non-oily fish fingers. Add the prepared fish fingers to hot oil. Do not move the fish fingers in oil with spatula after adding it to the oil. The breadcrumbs would not have set and will separate. Let the hot oil just do its work. Leave it alone for two minutes. Gently move the fingers after the time.
- Fry till the fish is golden. Crispy fish fingers are ready. Drain the fish fingers in a paper lined bowl and drain the excess oil. Serve hot with mayo.
- Do not add any additional salt than recommended to the recipe as the sauces we add in marination themselves are salty.
- Freezing for later use: After coating the fish with breadcrumbs, line the fish on a plate and freeze. Once frozen, transfer to zip tote bags. When ready, thaw the fish fingers on a plate to room temperature and then fry them as required.