Recipe for fisherman style fish curry recipe. Adapted from Rameswaram fishermans village. With step by step pictures.
For the masala
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 5 Dried Red Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Shredded Coconut
- 3 teaspoon sesame (gingely) oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 4 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 3 sprigs curry leaves
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
- 500 grams fish steaks
- Grind the masala ingredients with water to a fine paste. Set aside.
- Take a pan and add in the sesame oil (gingely). Add in the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Let it pop. Add in the ground masala and saute for five minutes.
- Add in a cup of water and tamarind paste. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in the fish pieces and cover the pan with a lid and allow it to simmer for another 6-7 minutes. Tear the curry leaves roughly and add it to the pan.
- Add in the thick coconut milk and let it simmer for a minute more. Do not allow the curry to simmer for a long time after adding coconut milk.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with rice.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu