Recipe for homemade idli podi made with flax seeds. ஆளி விதை இட்லி பொடி. Flax seeds idli podi / Flax seeds chutney powder recipe. Recipe with step by step pictures and Video.
- 1 teaspoon Indian sesame oil
- 1/2 cup whole white unpolished urad dal
- 1/2 cup chana dal
- 15 byadagi chillies, dried
- 10 guntur red chillies, dried
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 3/4 cup flax seeds
- 15 grams tamarind, seedless
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1.5 tablespoon jaggery
- Add quarter teaspoon of Indian sesame oil and whole white unpolished urad dal. Use unpolished urad dal. Roast the lentil until it smells nutty and the dal turns color. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- In the same pan and add in quarter teaspoon of Indian sesame oil and add chana dal (kadalai paruppu). Roast the chana dal in low flame until golden brown.Remove from the pan once the dal is golden. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Add in the flax seeds on the pan and slow roast till they pop. Set aside on a plate. Dry roasting will suffice. Flax seeds has a lot of essential oil.
- Place the pan back again on the stove and add in the sesame seeds. Dry roast on low flame till golden. Roast on low flame until it starts to pop. Remove the seeds from the pan and set aside on a separate plate to cool. Keep the roasted lentils and the seeds separately.
- Add in little oil and roast the chillies and tamarind. I use a combination of the regular guntur chillies and my favorite byadagi chillies. The byadagi chillies are not hot. But they give a very nice colour to the podi. If you cannot get byadagi chillies, please substitute kashmiri red chillies. Also adjust the chillies according to the taste of your family.
- To the roasted ingredients, add in the salt, asafoetida and the jaggery.
- Grind all the ingredients to a fine powder. Idli podi is ready.