For the Masala Paste
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon Khus Khus – white poppy seeds
- 6 Cashew-nut
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala or Kurma Masala Powder
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 1/4 cup water to grind
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh black-eyed pea
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Take a two liter cooker and add a teaspoon of coconut oil. Add in the finely chopped onions.
- Top it with finely chopped tomatoes and black-eyed pea.
- Grind all the ingredients listed under “masala” to a fine paste. Spread the masala on top of the pea.
- Cook for 4 whistles on medium flame. Let the pressure from the cooker release naturally.
- Add in half a cup of hot water to the kurma and mix well.
- Serve the Kurma with Chapati.
Dont be tempted to add water. The water in the onion, tomatoes and the veggies are enough to cook the kurma. Thats the main thing about OPOS – concentrated flavor.
The term OPOS and One Pot One Shot are registered trademarks owned by Mr.Ramakrishnan. They are used in Kannamma Cooks with prior permission.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu