Broken wheat upma / godhumai upma made with minced meat. Udhir Udhir upma. Fool proof recipe which can be made in under 20 minutes. Video Recipe.
For Roasting Broken Wheat
- 1 Cup Broken Wheat / Godhumai Kurunai
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 200 grams minced chicken
- 4 green chillies, chopped
- 6 mint leaves, chopped
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups water
Double Roast Broken Wheat
- Take a pan and add in a teaspoon of oil. Add in the godhumai / broken wheat and saute for 5 minutes on low flame. It will start to slowly brown and become very fragrant. Switch off the flame and transfer the broken wheat to a plate. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Roast one more time. Take the same pan and add in a teaspoon of oil. Add in the roasted and cooled godhumai / broken wheat and saute for 5 minutes on low flame. The wheat will start to brown. Switch off the flame and transfer the broken wheat to a plate. Set aside to cool.
- Take a pressure cooker and add in all the ingredients except the roasted wheat. Cook for one whistle in high flame. Manually release pressure.
- Add in the roasted broken wheat to the hot water mixture in the cooker and mix well to combine. Cover the pressure pan and cook for 1 whistle in medium flame. Switch off the pressure cooker and wait for the pressure from the cooker to release naturally. Open the cooker, gently fluff up the upma and serve hot.
The term OPOS and One Pot One Shot are registered trademarks owned by Mr.Ramakrishnan. The recipes have been adapted using his OPOS principle. They are used in Kannamma Cooks with prior permission.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu