Recipe for green tomato chutney. Spicy chutney made with unripe tomatoes. Thakkali kai chutney recipe with step by step pictures.
For the Chutney
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil (Indian gingely oil)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 green tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon jaggery
- 4 green chillies
- 1/2 a gooseberry size – tamarind
For the Tempering
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (Indian gingely oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon white urad dal
- 3 green chillies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Heat Sesame oil (Indian Gingely Oil) in a pan and add in the garlic and the onions. Saute till the onions are soft. Add in the chopped green tomatoes.
- Add in the green chillies, salt, jaggery and the tamarind.
- Saute the chutney till the tomatoes are soft and the onions are brown. It will take about 10 minutes on a medium flame.
- Set aside the chutney to cool and grind to a paste. No need to add water while grinding.
- For the tempering
- Heat sesame oil in a pan and in the mustard seeds and urad dal. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Add in the curry leaves and green chillies. Let the curry leaves crackle up a bit. Add the tempering to the chutney.
- Serve with idli or plain dosa.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Karnataka