Recipe for South Indian style Guava Chutney for idli and dosa. கொய்யா சட்னி செய்வது எப்படி. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 3 guavas – semi ripe
- 2 teaspoon Indian sesame oil (1 teaspoon + 1 teaspoon – divided)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon urad dal
- 1 tablespoon chana dal
- 4 dried red chillies
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped onions
- marble sized tamarind
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the chutney
- Roughly chop 3 guavas. I have used white guavas today. The Indian pink guavas also works really well for this recipe. Remove the seeds and set aside. Boil water in a pan and add in the guavas to the hot water. Remove from heat. Let the guavas sit in the hot water for 2-3 minutes. After the said time, remove the guavas and set aside on a plate to cool.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the cumin seeds, urad dal and chana dal. Roast on a low flame. When the lentils are getting roasted, add in the red chillies. Adjust the red chillies according to your taste. Add a couple more if you want a spicy chutney. We like guava chutney nice and spicy at home. Roast until the lentils are golden. Remove from heat and set aside on a plate to cool.
- In the same pan, add in the chopped onions, tamarind and the salt. Saute for 3-4 minutes till the onions are nice and soft. Remove from heat and set aside on a plate to cool.
- Take a mixie jar and add in the lentils and onion mixture. Grind to a coarse paste.
- Add in the prepared guavas to the mixie and grind to a paste. Add very little water while grinding as required. The chutney is ready.
Tempering for the Guava chutney
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and dry red chillies. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Add it to the prepared chutney.