Recipe for Karnataka style Hagalakayi Gojju, Bittergourd Gojju Recipe, Pavakkai Thokku recipe. This dish can be stored in the refrigerator and used for up to ten days. Perfect as a side dish for rice or roti. Recipe with step by step pictures and video.
Main Ingredients for making Hagalakayi Gojju
- 1/2 cup Indian Sesame oil (or) Vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 4 dried red chillies
- 12 green chillies, chopped fine
- 4 sprigs curry leaves, finely chopped
- 4 bitter-gourd
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 big lime size tamarind
- 3 tablespoon powdered jaggery
Spice Powders for Hagalakayi Gojju
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon red chillli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
Here is how to make Hagalakayi Gojju / Bittergourd Gojju
- Clean and cut the bitter-gourd into small pieces.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan until hot and add in the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and the red chillies. Let it splutter. Add in the finely chopped green chillies, chopped curry leaves and the chopped bitter-gourd. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add in the spice powders, salt and the tamarind pulp. Reduce the flame to low and let it cook for 30 minutes.
- Fry till all the moisture has evaporated and the mixture is dry. The oil will start oozing out from the mixture. Add in the powdered jaggery. Make sure to powder the jaggery in a mixie before adding. Fry for a minute more. Switch off the flame and remove from heat.
- Let the bittergourd-gojju cool in the pan until its completely cool and at room temperature. Transfer it to a clean and dry jar. The gojju can be stored in the refrigerator for up-to ten days.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Pickle
- Cuisine: Karnataka
Keywords: Hagalakayi Gojju