A very simple Asian style sweet and spicy honey chicken recipe. A very easy recipe that can be put together in twenty minutes. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 500 grams chicken breast, cubed
- 2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes (adjust according to your spice levels)
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 spring onions stalks, chopped
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Cube the chicken breast and add it to a bowl. Add in the ginger-garlic paste, salt, soy sauce and the red chilli flakes. Soy sauce is salty. So go easy on the salt. We can adjust the seasoning later. If you want a spicy chicken, add more red chilli flakes. Mix everything well. Marinate the chicken for thirty minutes. I marinated the chicken at room temperature. If you are going to marinate for a long time, stash it in the refrigerator.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the green chillies and the white part (oniony part) of the spring onions. Saute for a minute. Add in the marinated chicken along with the juices to the pan. I prefer doing the dish in a wide pan, so the chicken cooks evenly.
- Do not add any water. The moisture from the chicken is enough. Saute for about 5-6 minutes until the chicken is cooked and relatively dry. Once the chicken is cooked and dry, add in the honey. Saute for a minute.
- Make a corn starch slurry by adding a tablespoon of cornstarch to half a cup of water. Add it to the chicken.
- The corn starch slurry will immediately thicken up and form a velvety sauce. If the sauce is very thick, add little water to adjust the consistency. Simmer the honey chicken for a minute.
- Remove from heat and garnish the honey chicken with toasted sesame seeds and spring onions.
- Serve honey chicken with fried rice.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Asian