Recipe for Creamiest Balaboosta inspired Hummus Recipe. Made with homemade Tahini. Original recipe from Balaboosta cookbook by Einat Admony.
For the Hummus
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chickpea cooking liquid (drained after cooking chickpea)
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder or paprika for garnish
- Take a pan and dry roast the white sesame seeds on low flame until very slightly brown and fragrant.
- Grind it in a spice grinder / small mixie jar to a powder. Add in the olive oil and grind it into a very fine paste.
- Dump the chickpeas in a large bowl and add 3/4 teaspoon baking soda. Add water till it fills the bowl and let it sit at room temperature overnight for 8-10 hours. The next day, drain. Now we need to cook the chickpea. You can cook the chickpea in a pressure cooker or in a pan.
- Pressure cooker method
- Add lots of water in a pressure cooker (3 cups) and add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Cook for 10 whistles and switch off the flame. Wait for the pressure in the cooker to release naturally. Drain the chickpea and reserve 1/2 cup of the chickpea water. Set aside.
- Pan Method
- Add lots of water in a bowl (5-6 cups) and add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and bring to a boil. Continue to boil until the chickpeas are tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Drain the chickpeas, reserving 1/2 cup of the chickpea water. Set aside.
- Combine the cooked chickpea, garlic, reserved liquid, tahini paste, lemon juice, Olive oil, salt, cumin, and pepper in a food processor / mixie and puree until really smooth and creamy. Plop the hummus on a plate or in a shallow bowl.
- When ready to serve, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with red chilli powder.
- Category: Dips
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern