- 3 teaspoon vegetable oil or peanut oil
- 1/4 cup split chana dal
- 1/2 cup whole white urad dal
- 1/2 cup white sesame seeds
- 10 dried red chillies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon jaggery
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- Heat a pan and add in a teaspoon of vegetable oil and add quarter cup of chana dal (kadalai paruppu). Roast the chana dal in low flame until golden brown. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- In the same pan add in a teaspoon of vegetable oil and add half cup of whole white urad dal. Roast the lentil until it smells nutty and the dal turns color. Remove from the pan once the dal is golden. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Add in a teaspoon of vegetable oil and half cup of white sesame seeds. Fry on low flame till golden. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Dry roast red chillies on the same pan until you can smell them. Remove the chillies from the pan and set aside on a plate to cool.
- Add in the cooled and roasted lentils, sesame seeds and red chillies to the mixie. Add in the salt, asafoetida (perungayam/hing) and jaggery.
- Grind the ingredients to the consistency you like. You can grind it fine, slightly coarse or to a coarse powder.
- Enjoy with idlis!
Mix the chutney powder either with sesame oil (nallennai) or ghee.
Serve with idli or dosa.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Chutney Powders
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu