Recipe for instant vadai made with bread. A quick and easy recipe that can be put together in minutes. With step by step pictures.
For the Vadai Mixture
- 4 slices white sandwich bread
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs coriander leaves, , finely chopped
- 1/2 inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing) (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 tablespoon plain yogurt
To Deep Fry
- 500 ml vegetable / canola or sunflower oil
- Run the slices of bread in a mixie / food processor to coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Take a big bowl and add in the bread crumbs to the bowl. Add in the finely chopped onions, curry leaves, coriander leaves, ginger and green chillies. Add in the salt, asafoetida, pepper, fennel seeds and plain curd (yogurt). Mix well.
- Take a couple of tablespoon of the mixture on your palm. Make small vadai balls from the mixture and slightly press on top to flatten the vadai. Set aside on a plate. Repeat until all the mixture has been shaped.
- Heat oil in a kadai / pan until hot. Drop the vadai gently and fry on both sides till golden.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney. Ketchup also works well.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: South Indian