Recipe for Italian Spring Onion Frittelle. Adapted from Chef Mario Batali. Measurements used – 1 Cup = 250 ml
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Maida – All purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bunches spring onions or scallions sliced to yield 1.5 cups
- 1 green chilli – minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the eggs, flour (maida), baking powder, water, cheese, salt and pepper and whisk well to combine. Stir the spring onions and green chillies into the batter.
- In a nonstick or cast iron pan, heat 2 tablespoons of Olive oil. Drop by tablespoonfuls into the hot pan to make 2 inch pancakes. Cook until golden brown on the first side then flip to brown on the other side.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and set on a plate lined with paper towels, to drain. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve immediately.
The original recipe uses parmigiano-reggiano cheese. The cheese itself is salty. So add less salt to the batter.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Italian