Recipe for slow cooked Dal Bukhara, ITC style made with black urad dal – black lentils. Measurements Used – 1 Cup = 250ml
- 1 cup Urad Dal
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 pod garlic and 2 inch piece ginger, pureed to a paste with 1/4 cup water
- 8 Tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Heat the pan with a tablespoon of oil and add in the cumin seeds and the cinnamon.
- Add in the onions and fry till soft. About 3 minutes on medium flame. Add in the ginger garlic paste and briefly fry for a minute.
- Run the whole tomatoes in a blender and add it to the pan.
- Immediately, add in the chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and the salt.
- Add in the cooked dal. To the dal, add in 500 ml of water.
- Now, reduce the flame to the lowest possible. Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for one hour. Keep stirring every 10 minutes to avoid the dal scorching at the bottom.
- After one hour, the dal would have become creamy and thick.
- Add in 1/2 a cup of cream and 3-4 tablespoon of butter. Now don’t skip this step. This is what makes this dish what it is. Simmer briefly for a minute and remove the pan from heat.
- Serve hot with roti, chapati.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Gravy
- Cuisine: Indian