Recipe for Kongunad special Seeraga Puttu / Jilakara Kudumulu. Recipe made with homeground coarse parboiled rice and toor dal. Steamed dumplings recipe.
- 1 cup Parboiled rice (puzhungal arisi)
- 3 tablespoon toor dal
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 green chillies
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
- Dry roast the rice, toor dal, cumin and black pepper on a pan until the ingredients are hot to touch. About a couple of minutes. Set aside.
- Grind the dry roasted rice mixture in a mixie. Grind to a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds and chana dal. Add in the curry leaves, split green chillies and dried red chillies. Let the mustard seeds crackle.
- Add in the chopped onions and salt and saute till the onions are soft.
- Add in the fresh shredded coconut. Saute for a minute. Add in 2.5 cups of water. Let the water come to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add in the ground rice and dal mixture.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes till the mixture absorbs all the water and becomes thick. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Let the dough become warm. When the dough is still warm, dip your hands in cold water and take a small lemon size ball of dough. Press the dough a little to form oblong shaped dumplings. Set aside. (Remove the chillies while making the dumplings)
- Place the dumplings on an idli plate or any flat plate and steam it for 15 minutes on a medium flame. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney, red chutney or kara chutney.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu