Recipe for Kaima Idli- Fried Idli tossed in an onion capsicum masala. Tamilnadu Saravana bhavan style fried idli recipe. With step by step pictures.
For fried idlies
- 5 idlies
- 250 ml vegetable / sunflower oil
For the masala
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 inch piece ginger, minced
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 of a capsicum, diced
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon tomato ketchup
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- Cut each idli into 4 pieces. Heat oil in a pan and add the idlies to the hot oil. Fry till golden. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the fennel seeds, crushed ginger and curry leaves. Wait for the curry leaves to become crisp. Add in the diced onions and capsicum. Add in the green chillies. Saute briefly for a minute until the onions are soft. Add in the turmeric powder and the red chilli powder. Add in the salt. Fry for a minute.
- Run the tomatoes in a mixie to a puree. Add it to the pan.
- Add in a teaspoon of tomato ketchup. Fry till the tomatoes are cooked. Add in the fried idlies, spring onions and coriander leaves. Toss well to combine.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with raita.
- Category: Brunch
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu