Recipe for Kaju Katli. Easy Kaju Katli made with powdered cashews. Beginners kaju Katli recipe. With step by step pictures.
- I have used rice cups for measurement. 1 rice cup = 160 ml
- 2 Cups Cashew Powder (see notes)
- 1/2 Cup Regular White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- pinch of ground cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- Measure half a cup of sugar and half a cup of water and add it to a pan. Simmer on a medium flame.
- Add in a pinch of ground cardamom powder.
- Simmer the mixture stirring once in a while till it reaches the one string consistency. Switch off the flame when single thread consistency is arrived.
- Immediately, add in the cashew powder and mix well to combine. Add in a teaspoon of ghee while mixing.
- The mixture will become one cohesive dough. Dump the dough on a wax / parchemnt paper.
- Try to pat the dough into a rough rectangle by pressing on top of the wax paper.
- Place another layer of wax paper on top of the dough and start rolling into a thin sheet (about 1/8th of an inch).
- Leave it to rest for about 20 minutes. Then cut the sheet of dough with a sharp knife. It might be sticky.
- Allow it to completely cool down. Break the pieces and store it in an airtight container and consume it within a week.
Grind cashews to a powder
Take about 2.5 cups of cashews and pulverize the cashews to a powder. Do nut run all of the cashews at one time in the mixie / grinder. Do it in 2 or 3 batches. Pulse it several times. The cashews will start to ooze oil if ground for a long time. So a note of caution on that.
Sieve the ground cashews to get rid of any big chunks that may remain.
Measure two cups of the ground powder. Set aside. The leftover cashew powder can be used to thicken curries, gravies etc..
- Category: Sweet
- Cuisine: Indian