Tamil style Crunchy Kalakala biscuits. Also called as diamond biscuits or Maida biscuits. Kids favorite snack.
- Measurements Used 1 Cup = 250 ml and 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Cardamom
- 2 Cups Maida / All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon ghee
- a big pinch of salt
- a big pinch of baking soda (aapa soda)
- Little Flour for dusting
- Vegetable Oil for deep frying
- Grind the sugar and the cardamom in a small mixie / grinder to a smooth powder. Set aside.
- Mix in the Maida (All purpose flour), sugar mixture, a big pinch of salt and a big pinch of baking soda. Add in 2 teaspoon of ghee. Combine well with your fingers to make sure the ghee is evenly mixed.
- Start adding water. Add very little at a time. Make a very stiff dough. Make 8 balls out of the dough. Set aside. Dust the dough ball in maida generously and roll each dough ball into a flat circle. Don’t roll it too thin. Roll it a little thicker than chapati.
- Cut the circle into little diamonds with the help of a pie cutter or a knife.
- Heat oil in a pan in medium flame. Gently add in the diamond cuts to the oil. Fry on low medium flame until golden.
- Drain the biscuits on paper towels. Store in an airtight container for up-to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: South Indian, Tamilnadu