Kalkandu Pongal recipe. Sweet Pongal made with Kalkandu-Sugar. Kalkandu – Sakkara / Chakkarai Pongal recipe.
For cooking rice and dal
- 1/4 cup split yellow moong dal
- 1/4 cup raw rice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Kalkandu ( Rock Sugar )
- 2 cardamom
- 3 teaspoon ghee
- 6 cashews, broken
- 10 raisins
- Take quarter cup each of rice and split moong dal and soak it in water for one hour. After soaking, drain the water. Add in a cup of milk and a cup of water to the rice-dal mixture. Set aside.
- Cook the mixture in a pressure cooker (pot-in-pot method). Cook for a good 15 minutes (10 whistles) on medium flame. Remove off heat and allow the pressure to settle naturally. Set aside.
- Take a pan and add in the cooked dal-rice mixture. Take the kalkandu – sugar and grind it coarsely to a powder and add it to the pan. Keep stirring for couple of minutes.
- Grind the cardamom in a mortar and pestle to a fine powder. Take a pan and add in the ghee, cashewnut and raisin and fry till the nuts are brown. Add in the cardamom and the fried nut mixture. Switch off the flame and let it cool down for 20 minutes. The mixture will continue to thicken up as it cools.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu