Chettinad style gravy prepared for breakfast and is usually served with idli or dosa. Its also called as Kathirikkai Therakkal or Kathirikkai Avial kuzhambu in the region.
For the Masala Paste
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut
- 6 Cashew nut
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 inch piece cinnamon
- 2 cardamom
- 1 teaspoon gingely oil (Indian sesame oil)
- 1 onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 4 brinjals, diced
- 1 big potato, peeled and diced
- 3–4 sprigs coriander leaves
- Grind the fresh coconut, cashews, cumin seeds, white poppy seeds (khus khus), fennel seeds, cinnamon, cardamom to a fine paste. Add 1/2 cup of water while grinding. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the fennel seeds. Add in the chopped onions and saute till the onions are soft.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes. Add in the salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder. Saute till the tomatoes are cooked and reduced.
- Add in the masala paste and 2 cups of water. Add in the veggies and let it simmer for 15 minutes with a lid on top. Stir once in a while to avoid scorching at the bottom.
- Once the veggies are cooked, remove from heat and add in the coriander leaves
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu