- Measurements used – 1 cup = 250 ml (approx)
For the batter
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 cup parboiled rice
- 1/2 cup raw rice
- 1/2 cup whole white urad dal
- 1/2 cup poha / aval
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ghee
- 2 sprigs curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida / hing
- 1 teaspoon dry ginger powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash and soak the raw rice, parboiled rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds in water over night. Drain the water and grind the mixture to a slightly coarse paste. Add up to a cup of water for grinding and grind the batter in batches in the mixie. Do not add too much water while grinding.
- Soak the poha for 10 minutes in half a cup of water. Grind it to a smooth paste and add it to the batter.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add in the crushed cumin pepper mixture and curry leaves. Once the curry leaves are crisp, switch off the flame. Add in the dry ginger powder and asafoetida. Toss well and add it to the batter.
- Add in the salt to the batter and mix everything well to combine. Cover the pan with a lid and allow it to ferment in a draft free place for 8-10 hours.
- Steam the idli for 20 minutes. Serve with chutney and sambar.
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Idli
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu