Recipe for making kara kozhukattai using rice. South Indian Tamil Kongunad style recipe.A different variety of kara kozhukattai made with par boiled rice.
- 1 cup parboiled rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon Indian sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon chana dal (kadalai paruppu)
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves, finely chopped
- 3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut (optional)
- Soak Idli rice (Par Boiled Rice) for 3 hours. Drain the water from the soaked rice. Grind the rice with water. Grind to a really smooth fine paste. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil (gingely oil) in a pan and add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and the chana dal. Wait for the chana dal to brown.
- Add in the curry leaves, ginger, onions and green chillies. Add in the salt. Saute for 2-3 minutes until the onions are cooked and slightly starting to brown.
- Add in the ground rice mixture and stir with a spatula. The rice mixture will immediately thicken up into a mass of dough. Set aside.
- Let the dough become warm. When the dough is still warm, dip your hands in cold water and take a small lemon size ball of dough. Press the dough a little to form oblong shaped dumplings. Set aside.
- Place the dumplings on an idli plate or any flat plate and steam it for 15 minutes on a medium flame.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney, red chutney or kara chutney.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu