Recipe for karuppu ulundhu chutney. Spicy chutney made with black gram dal / urad dal with chillies and coconut. Perfect accompaniment for idli and dosa.
- 2 teaspoon Indian sesame oil / gingely oil
- 4 dry red chillies
- 1/4 cup black urad dal
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste or (1/4 inch piece tamarind)
- 1/4 teaspoon jaggery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 –1/2 cup water to grind
- Dry roast dry red chillies until fragrant. Remove and set aside on a plate to cool. Heat Indian sesame oil / gingely oil in a pan until hot. Add in the black urad dal.
- Add in fresh curry leaves to the dal. Saute on a low flame until the dal is fried and nice and golden. Once the dal is golden, remove and set aside on a plate to cool.
- Take a small jar and add in the coconut, tamarind, salt, jaggery, fried chillies and the dal mixture.
- Add in around quarter cup of water and grind to a smooth paste. Add more water if required.
- Serve hot with brown rice idli or vendhaya dosa.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Chutney
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu