kathirikkai kosumalli – Brinjal Kosumalli. Tamil chettinad style special Brinjal Kosumalli recipe. Perfect side dish for idli and dosa.
For the mash
- 250 grams brinjal
- 4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs coriander leaves
- 3–4 green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small marble size tamarind
- 2 tablespoon Indian sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2–3 dried red chillies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 10 shallots – sliced (Indian small onions)
- Take a pan and add in the tomatoes, coriander leaves, green chillies, turmeric powder, salt and a small piece of tamarind. Add in the brinjal and half a cup of water.
- Pressure cook the ingredients for about 4 whistles / 10 minutes. Wait for the pressure to release.
- Once the pressure has settled, open the cooker and mash the ingredients well. Use a wooden / potato masher. Do not grind in the mixie. The texture is very important and can be achieved only with a masher.
- Heat sesame oil (Indian gingely oil) in a pan and add in the mustard seeds. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Add in the dried red chillies and the curry leaves. Add in the sliced shallots (small onions) and saute till the onions are soft. Let the onions cook well.
- Add in the brinjal mash and check for seasoning. Add more salt if necessary. Let the mash simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Kathirikkai kosumalli / brinjal kosumalli is ready. Serve with dosa. I like to serve it with vendhaya dosai.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu