Easy Recipe for Keerai Kuzhambu / kulambu. Made with toor dal, ginger and coconut. Served with rice. South Indian lunch recipe.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds seeds
- 1 1/2 inch piece ginger, finely minced
- 2 sprigs curry leaves, chopped
- 2 medium sized red onion, finely chopped
- 2 big tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 250 grams keerai / greens
- 1 cup cooked toor dal
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds. Let the mustard seeds splutter. Add in the cumin seeds, ginger and the roughly chopped curry leaves. Fry briefly for a minute.
- Add in the chopped onions and saute until soft. About 2-3 minutes on medium flame. No need to brown the onions.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and the finely chopped green chillies. Add in the salt and the turmeric powder. Saute on medium flame for 5 minutes until the tomatoes are mushy. Add in half a cup of water to the mixture.
- Add in the chopped greens / keerai and let it cook for 7-8 minutes on medium flame. Once the greens are cooked, add in one cup of toor dal to the pan. Let it simmer for two minutes.
- Grind half a cup of coconut with half a cup of water to a fine paste. Add it to the pan. Mix well to combine. Let the mixture simmer for a minute. Switch off the flame. Keerai kuzhambu is ready. Serve hot with rice for lunch.
- Category: Curry
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu