Recipe for Kerala Christmas Fruit Cake, Xmas Plum cake made with dry fruits soaked in brandy, caramel syrup and spices. Recipe with step by step pictures.
Soaking the fruits in rum / brandy
- 250 grams dry fruits
- 90 grams brandy ( I used Mansion house brandy)
Making the caramel
- 50 grams sugar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup water
- 200 grams sugar
- 1/2 inch piece cinnamon
- a small piece of nutmeg
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 4 Eggs at room temperature, (whites and yolks, separated)
- 200 grams unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 200 grams maida / all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon maida / all purpose flour for mixing the dry fruits
- Preheat the oven to 180C before starting to bake.
- Chop and soak the fruits in brandy for a month.
- Combine the 2 tablespoon water and 50 grams of sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil until the sugar is completely dissolved and the liquid is clear. Cook until the color of the caramel becomes dark amber. Switch off the flame and add in half a cup of water to the caramel. Set aside to cool.
- Take a mixie and add in the spices and the sugar. Grind till the sugar is well powdered and the spices are also powdered. Set aside.
- Separate the egg whites and egg yolks. Beat the egg whites until fluffy and soft peaks form. Add couple of tablespoons of the powdered sugar we made before while beating egg whites, so the egg whites whip well.Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes until lite and fluffy.
- Add in the egg yolks and the vanilla extract. Beat for a minute.
- Measure the flour and to the flour, add in the baking powder, baking soda and the salt. Whisk well and set aside.
- Add in the caramel syrup and the flour mixture and beat well until combined.
- Add two tablespoon of flour to the dry fruits and mix well. Add in the dry fruit mixture to the cake batter. Mix well to combine.
- Add in the egg whites and fold everything well.
- Grease and flour the cake pans with butter. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. This recipe makes two 6 inch cakes. Transfer the batter to the cake tins. Make sure the top is smooth and even. Level the batter with the back of a spatula. Make sure that the batter is not more than 3/4th of the height of the pan. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour on a 180 degree Celcius oven. If using a small pan, check after 30 minutes. The baking time depends on the size of the pan.
- After 45 minutes, insert a tooth pick in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. If the tooth pick has a little batter sticking, bake for 10-15 minutes more and check again. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan until room temperature.
- Run a knife on the sides of the pan to release the cake sticking to the sides of the pan. Gently invert the pan and remove the cake from the pan and store it in an air tight container. The flavor of the cake improves the next day.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: baking
- Cuisine: Kerala