Recipe for killu vadai made with chana dal. Crispy and crunchy vadais made with soaked and ground chana dal mixed with onions and herbs. Perfect for teatime.
- 1.5 cups chana dal
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 5 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, finely minced
- 500ml vegetable oil / sunflower oil for deep frying
- Soak the chana dal in water for 2 hours.
- Drain the dal after 2 hours. Grind the dal with the fennel seeds, cumin seeds and salt.
- To the ground batter, add in lots of finely chopped onions, chopped curry leaves, chopped coriander leaves, chopped mint leaves, finely chopped green chillies and finely chopped ginger.
- Mix well and check for seasoning.
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Take small pieces of the vadai batter and drop it in oil.
- Cook the vadai until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu