Thakkali aati kaachina kuzhambu is a popular side dish served with idli in the Kongunad region of Tamilnadu. The curry is made by roasting and grinding spices, tomatoes and coconut which is then simmered to form a thick sauce.
For the masala paste
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 dried red chillies
- 10 small onions (Indian shallots), chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 4–5 medium very ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon sambar powder
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
For the tempering
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 5 small onions (Indian shallots), thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the spices. Add in the chopped small onions and garlic. Add in the curry leaves. Saute the onions till its nicely caramelized and brown.
- Add in the roughly chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder and sambar powder. Let the tomatoes cook for 5-6 minutes on a medium flame till the tomatoes are cooked and mushy.
- Add in the fresh shredded coconut and saute for five minutes more. Switch off the flame and allow the mixture to cool.
- Grind the mixture with a cup of water to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds, curry leaves and finely sliced small onions.
- Saute till the small onions are nicely brown. Once the onions are brown, add in the ground paste.
- Add a cup of water to the empty mixie jar and wash off all the leftover masala paste and add it back to the pan.
- Simmer the gravy for 10 minutes.
- Serve with idli.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu