Recipe for softest idlis using kottaimuthu – castor seeds. Castor seeds are so good for health and also adds to the soft texture of the idlis. Castor seeds are also called as amanakku vidhai / kottaimuthu.
- 1 cup whole white unpolished urad dal
- 4 Cups Idly Rice (1 liter)
- 2 tablespoon Salt
- 3 tablespoon javvarisi (sabudana)
- 6 castor seeds (brown outer shell removed)
- 2.5 cups water for grinding
- Soak the dal and rice for 3-4 hours. Drain the water and set aside.
- Add the soaked and drained urad dal to the wet grinder. Add water little by little and grind till the dal is ground smooth and fluffy. Grind for atleast 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, transfer the dal mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- Now grind the seeds and the sabudana (javvarisi) to a fine powder.
- Add in the soaked and drained rice and add in the ground sabudana-seed powder. Grind the rice mixture for 30 minutes until smooth.
- Once ground, transfer the batter to the dal mixture bowl, add in the salt and mix well.
- Leave the batter in a draft free place to ferment. The batter needs to ferment for 8-12 hours.
- Idli batter is ready.
- Prep Time: 24 hours
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu