Tamil Style recipe for Kovakkai Fry / Poriyal with coconut. Tindora Ivy Gourd Dondakaya Vepudu.
- 3 tablespoon refined sunflower / vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 2 dried red chillies
- 2 medium onions
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 500 grams kovakkai – tindora
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 125 ml water
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Add in the mustard seeds, urad dal and dried red chillies. Fry until the seeds splutter and the urad dal turns golden. Add in the finely chopped onions and curry leaves. Fry till the onions are soft and starting to brown.
- Add in the chopped kovakkai to the pan. Add in the salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Add about half a cup of water. Around 100-125 ml. Fry the kovakkai on low flame for a good 30-40 minutes. Keep sauteing every 5 minutes to avoid scorching at the bottom. Once its nicely cooked and fried, finally add the shredded coconut and saute for a couple of minutes more.
- Remove off heat and serve.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: South Indian