Kadappa is very flavorful side dish served traditionally with idli in the kumbakonam / thanjavur side. Its made with lentils,potatoes and coconut masala.
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- 1/2 cup of yellow split moong dal
For Kadappa Masala
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 5 green chillies
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 2 cardamon
- 2 piece cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon fennel seeds (sombu/perunjeeragam)
- 2 teaspoon peanut oil
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped
- 4 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 big ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Boil half a cup of split yellow moong dal with 1.5 cups of water in a pressure cooker for 4 whistles/10 minutes until mushy. Set aside.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water till they are fork tender. Peel the potatoes, chop them into small pieces and set aside.
- Take all of the ingredients listed under masala and grind it to a smooth paste. Add up to 1 cup of water while grinding. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the chopped onions and curry leaves. Saute till the onions are soft. Add in the tomatoes and the salt. Saute till the tomatoes are slightly mushy.
- Add in the ground masala, potatoes and the dal. Add in 1.5 cups of water. Cover the pan and let it simmer on a low flame for 10 minutes.
- Saute once in a while so the gravy does not stick to the bottom. The gravy is ready when the potatoes fall apart. Add in couple of sprigs of curry leaves. Switch off the flame and serve hot with with idli / dosa varieties.
Green chillies are only used for this dish. If you want a very spicy dish, add more green chillies.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu