Recipe for kuska, tamil hotel style kuska rice recipe. Kuska gravy made with homemade chicken stock made from scratch.
For the stock
- 500 grams chicken bones
- 1 liter water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
For the masala paste
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 4–5 green chillies
- 4 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- half inch piece cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (sombu)
- 2 cups Basmati rice (500 ml)
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- a big pinch of kalpasi
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust seasoning later if need be)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 cup curd
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoon ghee for dum
- Add the chicken bones in a pressure cooker and add a liter of water. Add in half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and a teaspoon of salt. Cover the pressure cooker and cook on a medium flame for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, let the pressure from the cooker settle naturally. Remove the bones from the stock and discard the bones. Set aside.
- Wash and soak the basmati rice in water for at-least 20 minutes to half an hour. You can soak the rice and start with the the prep work.
- Grind the ingredients in a mixie to a smooth paste. Add little water while grinding. Set aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan and add in the kalpasi (stone flower) and the bay leaves.
- Add in the sliced onions and saute for five minutes till the onions are soft.
- Add in the ground masala and the tomatoes. Add in half a teaspoon of salt.
- Saute the tomatoes for 5 minutes till the tomatoes are cooked and the mixture is almost dry.
- Add in the red chilli powder and the curd. Cook for five minutes.
- Add in the stock. Measure the stock and add. We will need four cups of liquid for this recipe.
- I had about 3 cups of stock. Add a cup of water and the coriander and mint leaves. Let it all come to a boil. Add in the drained rice.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the rice cook for 10 minutes on medium flame. Stir once in a while.
- After about 10 minutes, the rice would be cooked about seventy five to eighty percent.
- At this stage add in the ghee and put the kuska rice in dum.
- Dum: Heat a dosa tawa on medium low flame and place the kuska pan on top of the dosa tawa. Let the kuska be on dum for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the pan and let it rest for atleast 20 minutes before serving the kuska.
- Kuska is ready after the rest. Serve the kuska with boiled egg, raita and salna.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu