Recipe for Vegetable Kuzhi Paniyaram made with carrots, beans and peas and seasoned with an Indian tempering. My grandmas recipe.
- Measurements Used – 1 Cup = 250ml
For the Batter
- 3/4 cup Idly Rice
- 1/4 cup Raw Rice
- 1/3 cup Urad Dal
- 1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
For the tempering
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Chana Dal
- 3 green Chillies, finely chopped
- 3 springs Curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1 Onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut
- 4 sprigs Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup carrots
- 1/3 cup beans
- 1/3 cup peas
- Vegetable Oil for frying Paniyaram
- Wash the idly rice, raw rice, fenugreek seeds and whole urad dal in water for couple of times. You can wash them together. After washing, soak the mixture in lots of water. Let it soak for 6-8 hours.
- Grind the soaked mixture with the water used for soaking to a smooth batter.
- Transfer the ground batter to a clean vessel and cover it and keep it in a warm place for 6-8 hours.
- Boil 1/3 cup each of finely chopped carrots, beans and peas. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in mustard seeds, chana dal and cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add in the finely chopped curry leaves, finely chopped onions and finely chopped green chillies. Add in the salt too. Fry till the onions are soft. Add in the fresh shredded coconut and the coriander leaves. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the boiled vegetables and the fried mixture to the batter and mix well.
- Heat the paniyaram pan / paniyarakkal until hot. Add 3/4 teaspoon of vegetable oil into each mold. Drop the batter to fill the mold. Cook for a minute. Then turn and cook on the other side. Turn again if necessary to make sure the paniyaram is evenly cooked on both sides and its nicely golden in colour.
- The paniyaram is ready if it has become crispy and golden on both sides. Have the paniyarams hot.
- Prep Time: 10 hours
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: South Indian, Tamilnadu