Punjabi Maa Ki Dal / Kaali Dal Recipe. Easy recipe for creamy slow cooked Black Urad dal. Recipe made in a pressure cooker.
- Measurements Used – 1 cup = 250 ml, 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
- 1/2 cup Urad Dal
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 4 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped fine
- Soak half a cup of black urad for 5-6 hours or preferably over nite.
- We will be using a 3 liter pressure cooker for this recipe. If using a bigger cooker try adding half a cup of more water at the end to avoid burning the ingredients during cooking.
- Layer chopped onions in the cooker.
- Run the tomatoes and the ginger in a mixie / blender and add it to the pressure cooker.
- Add in the soaked and drained urad dal.
- Add in one and a half cups of water. Add in the salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and asafoetida.
- Cover the lid and place the weight on the cooker and cook for 30 minutes on a low flame.
- After 30 minutes are over, remove from heat and wait for the pressure from the cooker to release naturally.
- Open the cooker and add in the coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve hot with chapati.
If using a 3 liter pressure cooker, add 1 1/2 cups of water
If using a bigger cooker, add half a cup of water more to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Punjabi