Recipe for Telugu Andhra style Mamidikaya Koyagura Pappu | Raw Mango Dal with Leafy Greens. Recipe with step by step pictures. Everyday lentil dish made with toor dal, raw mangoes and green amaranth leaves.
For cooking the dal
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 1 small raw mango, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups water
For the lentil gravy
- 2 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2.5 cups finely chopped green amaranth leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon jaggery
- 1.5 teaspoon ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- Wash the greens well, chop into small pieces. Set aside. Wash the toor dal in water and add it to a bowl. Add in the raw mangoes and two cups of water. Add little water in a pressure cooker and place the bowl inside. Close the cooker and cook for 4 whistles. Remove from heat and wait for the pressure to settle. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the onions. Saute the onions till soft. Add in the tomatoes and the green chillies. Saute for a couple of minutes. Add in the chopped green leaves. Saute until the leaves are wilted.
- Add in the salt and a small piece of jaggery. The jaggery is optional. But the little sweetness balances the sour mangoes. I love to add jaggery in my sour curries.
- Mash the cooked dal and add it to the pan. Simmer for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a kadai / small pan and add in the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and garlic. Let the flame be on low as the garlic takes time to roast. If the garlic is big, chop into two to three pieces so it can get nicely roasted in ghee.
- Once the mustard crackles and the garlic is roasted, add in the curry leaves and dried red chillies. Switch off the flame and add in the turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Wet them in oil and immediately add it to the dal. You do not want the spice powders to change colour or burn. So be quick after adding the spice powders.
- Serve hot with rice