Recipe for Mangalorean Fish Curry / Mangalore Style Meen Gassi Recipe made with coconut milk. Fish Gassi Recipe. With step by step pictures.
- 2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 inch ginger, finely minced
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3 green chillies, slit
- 1 tomato, chopped
- gooseberry size tamarind
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon saaru podi
- 500 grams fish steaks
- 200 ml coconut milk
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add in the minced ginger, and curry leaves. Saute for a minute. Add in the finely chopped onions, green chillies and saute till the onions are soft. Once the onions are soft, add in the chopped tomatoes and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Soak a gooseberry size tamarind in a cup of water for 15 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind well to extract the pulp. Discard the seeds and the fibre. Add in the tamarind pulp and the salt. Add in half a cup of water more. Add in 2 teaspoon of saaru podi. I have used homemade saaru podi. Here is the recipe. Saaru Podi is Karnata style masala powder used in a lot of curries. Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the fish pieces. Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for five minutes.
- Add in the coconut milk and simmer for a couple of minutes more.
- Remove from heat and serve hot!
I have used Pollock fish filet today.
You can use King Fish, Pomfret, Tilapia, Cat Fish etc…
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Karnataka