For the coconut milk
- coconut meat from half a medium coconut
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup seeraga samba rice / basmati rice
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee (optional)
- 2 inch stick cinnamon
- 3 cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green chillies, cut into 3
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Make coconut milk: Take out the coconut meat from the coconut and run in a blender/mixie adding 1 cup of water. Strain. The strained milk is what we call as the first milk or thick milk. Run the strained coconut bits again in the blender with 1 cup of water for a minute. strain. The strained milk is called second milk or thin milk. Set aside.
- Soak the rice in 3 cups of water.
- In a heavy deep pan, Heat ghee if using and oil until shimmering. Add in the cardamom,cloves and cinnamon.
- Add in the sliced onions, chopped garlic and green chillies all at once. Add in the salt. Saute till the onions are slightly brown.
- Once the onions and garlic start browning, add in the strained soaked rice and saute briefly for a minute.
- Add in 2 cups of coconut milk (1 cup thick milk and 1 cup thin milk). If you are using basmati rice add 2 cups liquid for every cup of rice. If using seeraga samba rice, use 2 1/4 cups liquid for every cup of rice. Let it come to a boil.
- Reduce the flame to low, cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Do not peek when its simmering. After 10 minutes, remove off heat and let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes for the rice to get swollen. After 20 minutes, gently fluff and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Rice Dishes
- Cuisine: Indian