Recipe for Kerala style fish fry marinated in an oil marinade and shallow fried in oil. Ayala Meen / Mackerel fish fry. Spicy fish fry South Indian style.
For the marinade
- 1.5 teaspoon thick ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (add 1/2 teaspoon more for a spicy fish fry)
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder (add a tablespoon more for a spicy fish fry)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 sprigs curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon plain vinegar
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil (or) peanut oil
- 500 grams Mackerel / Ayala Meen
- 1/4 cup peanut oil (or) coconut oil to shallow fry
- Few sprigs curry leaves
- Few strips ginger
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Onion wedges to serve
- Wash, clean and prep the fish. Make small gashes on the fish with a sharp knife so the masalas can penetrate and season the fish throughout.
- Take in all the ingredients listed under marinade and mix it well. Use thick ginger garlic paste for this recipe. Mix the masalas using few tablespoons of coconut oil. Do not use any water to mix.
- Apply the marinade on the fish. Make sure that the masalas are evenly coated. Apply it in the gashes so the fish gets evenly seasoned.
- Marinate the fish in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Gently place the fish in oil. Do not disturb or move the fish for the first two-three minutes. Let it cook. That’s the trick so the masalas will stick properly and wont separate.
- Add in a few sprigs of curry leaves and few strips of ginger julienne. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Fantastic fish fry is ready.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: South Indian