Easy recipe for moong dal vadai, pasi paruppu vadai made with moong dal and spices. Vadai made using split moong dal.
- 3/4 cup green mung dal preferably with skin
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
For final mixing
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 2–3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch piece ginger, finely minced
- 3 sprigs coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 2 tablespoon rice flour
- 500 ml sunflower / vegetable oil
- Soak the Moong dal in water for couple of hours. Wash the moong dal and drain several times to get rid of the skin attached to the dal. Wash until most of the skin has been removed. Little skin will remain and thats OK. Its desirable.
- Take a blender and add in the dal, red chillies and cumin seeds. Dont add water while grinding. Grind to a slightly coarse paste. Add in the chopped onions, minced ginger, coriander leaves, green chillies, asafoetida, baking soda, rice flour and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Heat oil in a kadai until hot. Drop little spoonful’s of batter in oil.
- Deep fry till golden.
If the batter is too runny, add in a couple of tablespoon of rice flour.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu