Moong sprouts masala – Mulai payaru Kuzhambu. Easy to make sprouted mung curry. A kongunad Specialty. Tamilnadu recipe.
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chillies
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 inch tamarind soaked in 2 cups of water and pulp extracted.
- 2 cups sprouted mung bean / mulai payaru
- 1/3 cup thick coconut milk (optional)
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Heat sesame oil in a pan until hot. Add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chillies and curry leaves. Let it splutter. Add in the finely chopped onions and saute for 5 minutes until the onions are cooked and soft and slightly starting to brown on the edges.
- Add in the chopped ripe tomatoes, minced ginger, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Saute till the mixture is fully cooked and the tomatoes become mushy and looks like a thick paste. It will take about 5 minutes of sauteing on medium flame.
- Add in the tamarind pulp and the sprouted mung dal. Mix well and cover with a lid and let it simmer on a low flame for 20 minutes until the sprouts are well cooked and the curry has become thick and all the liquid has been absorbed and its a thick masala.
- Add in the coconut milk (optional) and the curry leaves. Switch off the flame and serve hot with rice.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu