Moonu raja pongal is made in Pondicherry and coastal areas to celebrate Epiphany or three kings festival. Its made with freshly harvested rice and coconut milk.
Coconut Milk : See Recipe
- 1/2 a coconut ground with water and strained to yield below
- ——–1/2 cup first pressed milk (Thick Milk)
- ——–1 cup second pressed milk (Thin Milk)
- ——–1 cup third pressed milk (Very Thin milk)
- 1/2 cup raw rice or seeraga samba rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 10 cashews
- 10 raisins
- Take a pressure cooker and add in the second pressed + third pressed coconut milk. (Total of two cups ). Add in the rice and the salt.
- Cover the cooker and cook for 4 whistles on a medium flame. Remove from heat and wait for the pressure to settle naturally.
- Keep the cooker on a low flame and add in the sugar and cook for a couple of minutes till all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add in the powdered cardamom. Mix well to combine.
- Finally add in the first pressed coconut milk (half cup). After adding the first pressed coconut milk, do not cook for a long time. Remove from heat after a gentle simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Take a small pan and set it on low. Add in the ghee and the cashew nuts. Roast on low flame until lightly brown. Add in the raisins and wait for it to plump. Once its plumped up, remove off heat.
- Add it to the pongal. Mix well.
- Serve immediately.
- Category: Sweets
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu