Recipe for Tamil style Mudakathan Keerai Dosai – Balloon Vine leaves dosai seivathu eppadi / seimurai. Recipe preparation with step by step pictures.
- 1 cup cleaned mudakathan keerai leaves
- 1 cup idli rice
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon urad dal
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1/4 cup thick aval (poha)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Indian sesame Oil for making dosas
- Clean the mudakathan keerai and remove only the leaves. Discard the stalks. Wash the leaves and drain. Set aside.
- Soak idli rice (any parboiled rice variety works fine too), urad dal and fenugreek seeds for 3-4 hours.
- Grind the soaked and drained rice and fenugreek mixture in a heavy duty mixie along with the cleaned keerai. While grinding add in the ginger and curry leaves. The addition of curry leaves will give a very robust colour and flavour to the dosa. Add upto a cup of water while grinding.
- Once the batter is coarsely ground, add in the aval (poha) to the mixie and grind again. The addition of aval will make the dosa very soft on the inside and crisp on the outside.
- Grind the batter to a very fine paste. Remove the batter to a bowl and add in the salt. Mix well to combine.
- Cover the batter bowl with a loose lid and allow the batter to ferment for 8-10 hours. The batter will fluff up a little. But do not expect it to rise double like regular dosa batter.
- Mix the batter well and dilute the batter with water so the consistency is pour-able. The batter should be like the consistency of a thick paint.
- Heat the dosa griddle until medium hot. Add 1/3 cup batter and swirl to cover dosa griddle. The batter will instantly bubble up. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of Indian sesame oil to the dosa. Cook until underside of the dosa is golden brown, about a minute. Do not add a lot of oil as this dosa will become very greasy. This dosa does not need a lot of oil. Just a sprinkle here and there is enough.
- Loosen the edges of the dosa with a steel spatula. flip the dosa. Cook for 30 seconds more.
- Remove dosa from the griddle and repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot with coconut chutney. This batter does not store well. Use the batter within a day.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu