Dosa Batter Ingredients
- !Measurements used – 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 Cup Idli Rice (Par boiled rice)
- 1 Cup Raw Rice
- 1/2 Cup Urad Dal
- 2 Tablespoon Toor Dal
- 1/4 Cup Aval / Poha
- 1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
For making Dosa
- Ghee and Oil for greasing the pan
- Wash the rice and dal in running water 2-3 times.
- Soak all the ingredients except the salt together in water for at-least 4 hours.
- Grind the ingredients with little water to a very fine paste. Add upto 2 cups of water while grinding. If you are grinding in a mixie, take time and grind in 2-3 batches. Try not to add a lot of water while grinding.
- Add in the salt to the batter and mix well to combine.
- Cover the bowl and allow it to ferment for at-least 12 hours in a warm place.
- The batter would have almost doubled in volume after the 12 hour fermentation.
- Mix the batter well and the dosa batter is ready. Store the batter in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and use as required.
For making dosa
- If the dosa batter is very thick, thin it out by adding very little water.
- Heat the dosa griddle until medium hot.
- Add 1/3 cup batter and swirl to completely cover dosa griddle. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of oil or ghee to the dosa. Cook until underside of the dosa is golden brown, about a minute.
- Loosen the edges of the dosa with a steel spatula. No need to flip the dosa. Remove dosa from the griddle and repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve hot.
Adding oil to the pan and then doing dosa will make it difficult to spread the batter. Always add oil to the dosa and not to the pan.
- Prep Time: 16 hours
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu