Recipe for murungai keerai kuzhambu made with freshly ground masala paste. Excellent side dish for rice.
For cooking dal
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- 1.5 cups water
For the masala paste
- 1 teaspoon Indian sesame oil / gingely oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 red chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 10 small onions, chopped (shallots)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup water
For the Kuzhambu
- 2 teaspoon Indian sesame oil / gingely oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 cup drumstick leaves (murungai keerai ilai)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wash, clean and prep the drumstick leaves. Set aside.
- Cook half a cup of moong dal with 1.5 cups of water for 3 whistles. About 5 minutes on medium flame. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Let the pressure from the cooker settle naturally.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and add in the coriander seeds, black pepper, red chillies, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and curry leaves. Fry for a minute. Add in the chopped garlic and small onions. Saute for 2-3 minutes till the onions are soft. Add in the turmeric powder and fresh shredded coconut. Saute for two minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Grind all the sauteed spices with half a cup of water to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Add in the cleaned drumstick leaves and saute for two to three minutes.
- Add in the ground paste to the pan. Add half a cup of water to the empty mixie jar and wash off all the leftover masala paste and add it back to the pan. Let it simmer for a minute.
- Add in the cooked dal and another half a cup of water.
- Add in the salt and let the curry simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Murungai keerai kuzhambu is ready. Serve hot with rice.
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu