For the masala paste
- 1/3 cup coconut
- 2 green chillies
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 clove
- 1 cardamom
- 1 small half inch stick cinnamon
- 6 cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon Gingely oil (Indian sesame oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 onion, chopped (about half a cup)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 200 grams mushroom, chopped
- juice of half a lime / lemon
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- Add in all the masala ingredients to a small mixie jar and grind it to a smooth paste adding half a cup of water. Grind to a fine paste. Set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds splutter.
- Add in the chopped onions and saute till the onions are soft.
- Add in the tomatoes and salt.
- Add in half a teaspoon each of coriander powder, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Fry till the tomatoes are soft.
- Add in the chopped mushrooms and the ground paste.
- Add in about two cups of water and let it simmer for 15 minutes on a medium flame.
- Switch off the flame and add in the lime/lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with idli or dosa.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Curry
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu