Recipe for Muttai Paniyaram Kuzhambu, Egg Paniyaram Curry. Paniyaram made with eggs that are dunked in a spicy south indian style gravy. Served with dosa or chapati.
For the egg paniyaram
- 6 Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon water
- Sesame Oil for greasing paniyaram pan
For the masala paste
- 3 tablespoon fresh shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon cashewnut
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 1/2 cup water to grind
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 sprig coriander leaves
- 1 sprig fresh curry leaves
For the egg paniyaram
- Take a bowl and add in the eggs, salt, pepper and water. Mix well with a whisk to combine.
- Heat the paniyaram pan / paniyarakkal until hot. Add 1/4 teaspoon of oil into each mold. Drop the egg batter to fill the mold. Cook for half a minute. Then turn and cook on the other side. Turn again if necessary to make sure the paniyaram is evenly cooked on both sides. Set aside.
For the curry
- Make a masala paste with the ingredients listed under masala paste. Grind to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan and add in the cumin seeds and curry leaves. Let the seeds crackle.
- Add in the chopped onions and saute till the onions are soft and starting to brown.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and saute for a minute. Add in the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Also add in the salt.
- Add in a few teaspoons of water and cook till the masalas are fully cooked and the tomatoes are mushy. Add in the masala paste.
- Add in two cups water to the gravy.
- Simmer the gravy for 20 minutes on a low flame with the gravy covered with a lid.
- Switch off the flame and add in the lemon juice, coriander leaves, fresh curry leaves and the cooked egg paniyarams.
- Mix well and let the gravy rest for 10 minutes so the egg paniyarams can absorb the flavors of the gravy. I do not cook the gravy after adding the paniyarams as the eggs can become hard.
- Serve the egg paniyaram with dosa or chapati.
- Category: Gravy
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu